Southern Oregon Terrier Association
Code of Ethics
As a member of the Southern Oregon Terrier Association I agree to comply with the ethical guidelines set forth in this document and to abide by the Club’s Constitution and the rules and regulations of the American Kennel Club. As stated in the Constitution of the Southern Oregon Terrier Association I agree to act in ways that serve to further the advancement of all terrier breeds.
As an owner or an owner breeder I further agree to take responsibility for the health of my dogs and their progeny and to uphold the standards of that breed or breeds as outlined by the AKC. To accomplish these purposes I agree to the following:
1. To maintain the best possible standards of canine health, cleanliness and veterinary care.
2. To become familiar with my breed standards, inherited problems particular to my breed, and to promote the improvement of my breed or breeds.
3. To ensure that my dogs are not a nuisance to my neighbors or community and when possible to serve the community through education or service programs which involve promotion of purebred dogs, especially Terriers.
4. To be considerate of others including; good sportsmanship, helping novices, honesty in breeding and sales of services or sales of dogs, honesty and sportsmanship in showing dogs. Members shall not speak with dishonor of other members or seek to impair their reputation as an exhibitor or breeder.
5. To breed only from sound stock of good temperament, taking full advantage of all available heath testing.
6. To provide adequate diet, care and facilities for breeding, pre-natal and post-natal care of the dam and puppies.
7. To maintain accurate breeding records, registration papers and pedigrees. To provide any purchaser with proper registration
or transfer papers. To conduct ethical trade practices with all services (including stud service) to be mutually agreed upon in writing.
8. To breed only with the purpose of improving the breed and with the health of the dogs or bitches involved an utmost consideration.
A. To refuse to breed to any bitch whose owner is either directly or indirectly involved with any puppy broker or puppy mill.
D. To plan each litter based on the specific breed standard and to breed
only dogs/bitches of good health, sound temperament and free of congenital defects or disqualifying faults.
E. To provide adequate spacing between litters and to retire bitches at
an appropriate age.
9. To be responsible for the puppies produced in my breeding program.
A. To never place a dog with a pet shop, puppy broker or puppy mill.
B. Provide Limited Registration to puppies sold as pets.
C. To maintain puppies in my home until at least 8 weeks of age.
D. To provide new owners with health records, feeding instructions and
information regarding the general care, grooming and safety of the puppy and will offer reasonable genetic guarantee, help and guidance for the life of the dog.
E. To encourage new owners to have the puppy checked by a veterinarian for health within 3 days of purchase and agree to replace the puppy or refund purchase price if the puppy is found unfit.
F. To make sure puppies receive vaccination and wormings in a timely manner when under my care and that new owners have this information as well as a schedule for continuing these programs.